Labels

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ode to a Jilted Lover 05 - My First Attempt


I am not a song writer. I don't compose melodies, which seems to be a major component of songs. But I  do have some ideas for song lyrics. Here's my first attempt at a jilted lover song. It is inspired by the annual Superman festival in nearby Metropolis, IL. I wondered what kind of love could originate from a chance meeting on a hot June day.  I don't have a definitive title, so the working name is The Lonely Life of a Superhero's Gal. Please, review and critique!

-------
He burst on her scene from the deep of the blue sky,
they found one another on that day, hot as all July.
Some would say destiny, others say fate,
she just hoped that it wasn’t at all too late.
He was her Clark Kent, she was his Lois Lane.
They spoke of various pasts and heroes fast as trains.
Their ice cream melted as they walked the Metropolis square.
The two were the perfect festival pair.
The lenses of his costume glasses
were as hollow as his heart,
but she was sure the S on his chest was real.
Oh how lonely a super hero's gal must feel.
The days flew by, and the comic book ink rubbed away.
Like a flash he was gone, never to stay.
The rescue was good, and superman’s not a bad guy,
but once the work is done he’s gone. It’s the blink of an eye.
She’s a lonely fan in a perilous world,
just another awestruck fandom girl.
The gal of a superhero feels the sting of the one who strayed
long after the dye in the costume starts to fade.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I like the jilted lover tie-in to Superman...as you might expect! It has a certain vagueness about it that I'm not sure how to take, being undereducated and frankly, stupid, when it comes to poetry, but I also like aspects of it. Pretty neat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't anything about poetry either! I actually heard Garrison Keillor the other day deride poetry that rhymes. But it seems that song lyrics almost always rhyme. It is kinda vague, but I almost think that if it was set to music and made into a song it wouldn't matter so much. I've discovered that most lyrics, if stripped from their songs, are somewhat vague if not nonsensical.

    ReplyDelete