Labels

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Poland 02 - Transatlantic Mania


I lingered by the bathroom window this morning at my rural, West Kentucky home. I listened to the birds. I saw our humble little goat family atop a tiny hill in the field. The skies were blue, the air outside warm, and the aura peaceful. It seemed surreal that in hours I would be on my way to Poland.


I vowed I would not fly again. I don't like it. I've been very sick on planes before. I don't want to miss the blue skies of home, the West Kentucky birds, and my little goat family (we're expecting, by the way). Even more dear is my precious wife and daughter. I do cherish our times together, and I know this trip will be a long time apart. I am going to miss my Chihuahua, even though she only loves when it's convenient. Oh well. I love her anyway.

I am now on a flight from Chicago to London. It is amazing that we are flying through the night. We aren't just flying during the night, but through it... through time and space. It will be a shortened night as we are speeding across time zones and racing to meet the sunrise in the east.

For those of you who are seasoned travelers, these sort of things may be humdrum and not blog worthy. But you must remember that first transatlantic flight. I hope it contained some of the same magic that I am experiencing.

Here are some natural questions that are coming to mind as we traverse the ocean expanse:

1. What's that burning smell?
A: According to the pilot, it's a brand new engine burning off fumes

2. When I flush this, where does it go?
A: Unknown

3. Why didn't I get salad dressing with my meal like everyone else did?
A: Unknown

4. Why do British accents sound so cool?
A: We are only exposed to the cool and/or smart British people. Culturally, they put their best foot forward. Ignorance has to be universal.

5. Is it cool to hear Otis Redding sing "Hard to Handle" on the inflight radio?
A: Yes

6. Where did the Titanic go down?
A: Unknown to me. Bad question

7. How much gas is in this thing?
A. Unknown. Enough, I hope

8. Have they ever shown Castaway on the inflight entertainment system?
A. I hope not


No comments:

Post a Comment